Saturday, April 21, 2012

Second Basemen, A to Z: Ryne Sandberg

Player: Ryne Sandberg
Born: 9/18/1959 in Spokane, Washington
Major League Career: 1981-97
Games Played at Second Base: 1,995
Most Games Played For: Chicago Cubs


Photo via ItsAlreadySigned4U.com

Ryne Sandberg had the highest career fielding percentage of any second baseman in history at .989. Fielding percentage is one of many statistical categories dismissed as misleading by sabermetric buffs but it does indicate the guy was pretty darn good at his job. 10 All-Star selections, 9 Gold Gloves, 7 Silver Sluggers and the 1984 National League MVP award certainly help to bolster the resume as well. Sandberg was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2005.

******************

For last year's A-Z Challenge, I featured players of the Baltimore Orioles/St. Louis Browns organization, my favorite baseball team. I managed to cover every position on the field except for one: second baseman. As such, I decided to devote this year's challenge entirely to the second base position, honoring the individuals who earned their keep playing one of the game's most demanding defensive positions.

Head on over to Blogging from A to Z April Challenge to find others joining the adventure.

Be sure to visit my new friends:

Empty Nest Insider
A.D.Duling Wordpress Blog




3 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I really don't know much about baseball. I feel like I'm missing out, because the people who love baseball love it SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. This is a great idea for the A-Z! I love baseball.

    ReplyDelete