Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Second Basemen, A to Z: Omar Infante

Player: Omar Infante
Born: 12/26/1981 in Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela
Major League Career: 2002-present
Games Played at Second Base: 486
Most Games Played For: Detroit Tigers


Photo via SULLY BASEBALL

Omar Infante is the first active player on this year's A-Z list. For the second year in a row, a Venezuelan is my featured player for the letter I (César Izturis was last year's honoree). The road for Infante has not been easy. He came up initially as a shortstop but moved to second when the opportunity arose to play every day. He made the All-Star team in 2010. He stands to make $8 million with the Marlins over the next two years.

*******************

For last year's A-Z Challenge, I featured players of the Baltimore Orioles/St. Louis Browns organization, my favorite baseball team. I managed to cover every position on the field except for one: second baseman. As such, I decided to devote this year's challenge entirely to the second base position, honoring the individuals who earned their keep playing one of the game's most demanding defensive positions.

Head on over to Blogging from A to Z April Challenge to find others joining the adventure.


Be sure to visit my friends below. These three ladies were the co-hosts for the Tumble 4 Ya blogfest in February. That blogfest changed my life... my blogging life, anyway. Here, learn about my '80s crush.

Suze - Analog Breakfast
M. Pax - Wistful Nebulae
Nicki Elson - Nicki Elson's Not-So-Deep Thoughts

6 comments:

  1. How crazy is it that 8 million over two years doesn't even sound like that much money for an athlete these days?

    Thanks for linking to me a few posts ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno. It's a lot for a player who is talented but not exactly world-conquering. There are a lot of players on my A-Z list far greater than Infante who never made anything close to that kind of money. Omar's got about as much chance of making the Hall as I do.

      Happy to spread the word, Jenny! To me, that's what A-Z is all about.

      Delete
  2. I was pretty pissed when the Braves let Omar go. I mean he was a utility player at the time, but still, he made the All Star game as one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I think about it, I wish Infante was still with the Braves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Braves fans, you don't think Uggla was worth trading for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great topic for the A to Z Challenge, as a long time baseball fan, I've enjoyed going back over your excellent list.

    ReplyDelete