Sunday, August 10, 2014

Family Movie Night: The Lego Movie

Title: The Lego Movie
Directors: Chris Miller, Phil Lord
Original Release: 2014
Choice: Purple Penguin's
My Overall Rating: 4 stars out of 5
via Brickipedia
This was my second time watching The Lego Movie.  The Purple Penguin and I went to see it earlier this year on the big screen just the two of us so it was the first time for My Wife.  Whatever else I might say about this movie, it certainly makes me want to collect LEGOs!


Emmet, an ordinary construction worker figure voiced by Chris Pratt, lives a happy but humdrum life.  One day, he meets Wyldstyle (Elizabeth Banks), a smokin' hot, mysterious female figure who believes Emmet is the "Special", prophesied to save the universe.   Wyldstyle leads him on a crazy adventure to other LEGO worlds where a host of others join in the crusade against the evil tyrant, President/Lord Business (Will Farrell).  Given the vast LEGO licensing empire, there are mini-figure cameos to satisfy nearly any geek affiliation: Gandalf, Dumbledore, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Han Solo, Chewie, Lando, C-3PO and even Shaquille O'Neal.

Given that I already knew the story, I was able to sit back and better appreciate the truly stunning visuals this time.  For the first 90% of the movie, nearly everything that can be made out of LEGOs is made out of LEGOs.  Even when the animators could be forgiven for taking a break - car exhaust, dust kicked up during a desert chase - everything is LEGO.  My favorite LEGOscape is the ocean waves.

The story is cute, told with engaging humor.  I won't spoil the ending except to say that it's pretty much make or break for one's opinion of the movie.  I like it.  My Wife didn't care for it.  I'm already eager for the sequel, coming 2017.

Go ahead, I dare you to keep this song out of your head:


40 comments:

  1. I can't keep that song out of my head. It's been a regular thing in my house since we saw the movie.
    My wife still hasn't seen it, but the DVD is sitting on top of the TV for whenever we can find the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's virtually impossible to keep it out of your head. My wife almost instantly started coming up with alternate lyrics.

      Delete
    2. What I've learned is that everything can be sung to that tune.

      Delete
    3. Have you ever tried "Amazing Grace" to the Gilligan's Island theme?

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I've heard it done that way, but not in a long time.

      Delete
    5. Going the other way doesn't work as well.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen the Lego Movie yet- but I have heard good things about it. I am very fascinated to know that most of the backgrounds and materials in the movie are actually made with Legos. Cool!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are obsessed with this movie. I didn't know they're planning a sequel. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see this flick, I do, but I must patiently await for it to arrive on Netflix instant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. I'm sure it will eventually. Meanwhile, I don't think you'll run out of things to watch anytime soon.

      Delete
  5. I've not had the chance to see this flick, but every single family I know that DID see it, loves it! This has the feel of an instant classic.

    Great write up, Squidblock!
    Cherdo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This movie was, in many ways, inevitable. They could have phoned it in and made millions anyway. But the final product here is magnificent.

      Delete
  6. I'm really looking forward to 2017 A.S. The most amazing thing to me was how committed they were to the Lego look even though it was CGI. Even water and fire are made out of Lego blocks. Fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen it but I love the ads for I see ondemand. It looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a Lego toy fan, I'd love to see this movie. I don't have Netflix, but I usually wait for Amazon Prime or my satellite to show movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you collect LEGOs, Medeia? We used to, not so much now.

      Delete
    2. I used to. I wish I had my old collection.

      Delete
    3. My daughter has a few, though Playmobil was a much bigger deal for her.

      Delete
  9. Lol. I saw the movie a while ago and we are still singing everything is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family has been Lego fans forever.
    I haven't seen this movie but will wait for Netflix.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finally watched the Simpsons LEGO episode, which was developed before this movie existed but by coincidence aired after it was released (the show edited in a reference so people would laugh about it). Maybe I'll see the movie at some point, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Simpsons... I haven't watched in so long. Milhouse is in the movie!

      Delete
  12. Boyfriend and I watched this a couple of weeks ago, and we thought it was pretty good (it might have gotten a bit too hyped for me...it didn't quite live up to my expectations)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends what you're looking for. Story is okay. Humor is okay. Visuals are amazing.

      Delete
  13. I think I'll skip it! My stepdaughter is 14, so I think my years of attending movies like this are gone for now...until she has children and we have to take the grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable in this case. There are animated films worth seeing for grownups, though.

      Delete
  14. I thought the ocean sequences in this were amazing, too. This was definitely a fun film. I loved the character voiced by Morgan Freeman best but Emmet had some classic lines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Overall the animation was just astounding. And this is such a funny movie, one that I will definitely watch often with my boy!
    Batman: "I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The voice cast is excellent, too. Will Arnett was the perfect choice for Batman.

      Delete
  16. That's it! I think you've hit on the reason I haven't seen this movie yet - it's going to get me to buy even more Legos, and I'm addicted already...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still love the ones my sister and I had as kids -- I remember how excited I was when we got our first 'moving' pieces (the ones that bend).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I ever had any bendy ones.

      My daughter loves the movie but the toy window seems to have passed for her. :(

      Delete