Sunday, August 17, 2014

Family Movie Night: Meet Me in St. Louis

Title: Meet Me in St. Louis
Director: Vincente Minnelli
Original Release: 1944
Choice: Mine
My Overall Rating: 3 stars out of 5
via Wikipedia
Meet Me in St. Louis is probably Judy Garland's second most famous movie and an important one in her personal history.  She met her second husband, director Vincente Minnelli, on the set.  Their only child, Liza Minnelli, would go on to superstardom herself, having the good sense to inherit her mother's singing voice.



In our story, the Smiths live at 5135 Kensington in St. Louis, just about the most beautiful house you'll ever see in cinema.  The 1904 World's Fair is mere months away and the city is abuzz.  Esther (Garland) is the middle child of five and she's in love with the boy next door.  The family's idyllic life is threatened when father announces they're all moving to New York after Christmas.  The movie is based on a series of short stories by Sally Benson and thus has an episodic feel.  Ultimately, the heartwarming themes of home and family togetherness carry the day.

The film is beautifully shot in vivid color.  The energy is a bit inconsistent, though, and my own engagement waned in the middle.  Interestingly, whereas most musicals are front-loaded, Meet Me in St. Louis picks up towards the end.  It won me back when Esther's grandfather offers to take her to the Christmas ball and she calls him the most handsome man in town (sniff...).

The musical legacy is strong.  There's some lovely part singing, unusual in musicals of the era.  Garland's childhood vaudeville career touring with her older sisters was solid preparation.  She's the rare leading lady who can nail a harmony line.  I love a good alto!  As a choral conductor, I'll take a solid alto over a fleet of sopranos anytime.  The two most famous songs are "The Trolley Song," which I associate with Saturday Night Live's Sweeney Sisters, and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," a holiday standard covered by pretty much everyone.  Hard to top the original:

10 comments:

  1. I believe this is the film that got Daughter aimed at a career in theatrical costume design. It's on vhs in our living room shelves, and has been since the late '80s. Daughter works all over the world now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for her! You know, my daughter's gotten well into sewing and I'm kind of hoping that costume design might be at least a part of her future. I've thought of starting her on Edith Head films.

      This movie's costumes were by Irene Sharaff. Eventually, she'd win five Oscars, but not for this one. Her wins: An American in Paris, The King and I, West Side Story, Cleopatra and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

      Delete
  2. I saw this movie with my Mum so I did enjoy it.
    Not sure how I felt about Tootie. The Halloween pranks really disturbed me. The running wild, lighting fires and the throwing of the "body" on the trolly tracks was rather awful but she was so happy with that one.
    So I would agree with your 3 out of 5 stars.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't care for the Halloween story either. The movie was losing me at that point.

      Delete
  3. I love all things Judy Garland...except her passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not sure that was ever a very happy life. So sad, especially for one who brought such magic into our world. Robin Williams has reminded us all once again, not all is as it seems on the screen.

      Delete
  4. I think Judy Garland was at her most beautiful in this movie. I like it, but not enough to go out of my way to watch it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel, too. Visually, it's a stunning movie. Story is uninspiring.

      Delete
  5. Although I have heard of Meet Me in St. Louis- I have never seen it. It sounds like a good one- and it is nice to know it has a strong ending. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Jess! I hope you'll check it out sometime.

      Delete