Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Star Trek: Yesteryear

My friends Maurice Mitchell, Spacerguy and I are embarking on a new journey to watch all 22 episodes of Star Trek's animated series.  We'll be posting on Wednesdays.  All are welcome to join us for all or parts of our adventure. 

Episode: "Yesteryear"
Series: Star Trek: The Animated Series
Season 1, Episode 2
Original Air Date: September 15, 1973
via Memory Alpha
Kirk, Spock and a team of Starfleet historians pay a visit to the Guardian of Forever, a time portal first featured in "City on the Edge of Forever."  Upon returning from his time travel adventure, Spock is suddenly a stranger to all but Kirk.  The Enterprise has an entirely different First Officer, an Andorian named Thelin.  Apparently, there has been a disruption in the timeline and Spock must travel back to his own childhood in order to save his own life.
 
Of all the animated series episodes, "Yesteryear" has by far the strongest legacy within the Star Trek universe.  The story provided broader concepts of both the planet Vulcan and Spock's personal history, to be drawn upon by future series and films.  Producer Gene Roddenberry was explicit in his instructions to screenwriters that they should take full advantage of the opportunities animation presented.  D.C. Fontana's story was a perfect demonstration of such possibilities, covering more ground on Vulcan than had been feasible with TOS's one visit in "Amok Time."

*****
via Memory Alpha
Thelin

Thelin's support of Spock's quest to rectify the past, knowing it would likely cost him his own position on the Enterprise, is touching.  Presumably, in the corrected timeline, Thelin still has a career in Starfleet on another ship.  We just don't know which one.

Thelin never appeared on television again but he does turn up in two Star Trek novels: The Fire and the Rose and The Chimes at Midnight.  He is granted a full name in the licensed material:  Thelin th'Valrass.  In "Yesteryear," he is voiced by James Doohan.

If you would care to join us for all or part of our travels, please add your link to the list below.  In the meantime, please visit my fellow participants.  Next week: "One of Our Planets Is Missing."


16 comments:

  1. It's amazing what happens when you free budget from the story-telling in Star Trek. I have to miss but I'll post two next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I saw some of this series but this one doesn't sound familiar. Spock was always my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of remember this episode. Which is kind of amazing considering it's been 40 years since I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the series but I must not have watched it.
    Probably working or in school.
    I am very interested in your review. Sounds like fun.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this the one where we see a young Spock with his "dog" and being bullied by the other reindeer...um ...I mean kids? This is so cool to revisit this "cartoon". What is also wonderful is that they had some of the great writers like D.C. Fontana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the one! The scene of him being bullied was reused in the 2009 reboot film, too.

      Delete
  6. I felt really bad for I-Chaya, Spocks double fanged cat. This is a great time travel episode with Sarek voiced by Mark Lenard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Lenard is always solid. It's a shame they couldn't bring Jane Wyatt back, too.

      Delete
  7. Hey, this cartoon isn't half bad - and I'm not a cartoon watcher. Keep 'em coming, Squid. Off to see Maurice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indulged in Netflix last night and found myself closing my eyes --not in rejection of this excellent story, but from old habit formed listening to radio dramas as a child. The voices were familiar, writing was D,C. Fontana, whose beauty radiated in her scripts, and I delighted in the result. I realize now animators had been put to work only because radio-theater had passed from mass media. I will doubtless employ the same attention to subsequent episodes, and look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James Doohan had a career in radio before television, experience that served both him and the animated series well. I'll be writing more about that in next week's post.

      Delete