Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Squid Mixes: Cold Whiskey Punch

 
This is my first drink recipe from Imbibe! by David Wondrich.  I will write a more complete review soon.  Suffice to say for now, it's a history of cocktail evolution in the 19th century and includes lots of old recipes.  One of the first important steps in that journey was punch's conversion from a communal bowl to an individual serving.  This mixture combines rye with bits of rum, sugar and the juice of have a lemon. 

As always, the citrus is the flavor heavyweight.  It's a tasty beverage and strong.  Old punches generally were.  There is a funky aftertaste - kind of like cardboard.  I realize that makes it sounds worse than it actually is.  I think it comes from the rum, which makes me wonder if one could just as easily do without.  Could be a worthy experiment.

8 comments:

  1. I've never noticed any kind of bad aftertaste, cardboard or otherwise, from rum. Unless you're using bad rum?
    I don't know that I've ever had rye, so I'm going to blame that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I have nothing against rum and didn't mean to imply that I did.

      It's just as likely to be a matter of working out an imbalance. One problem with working with old recipes is the fact that the size of lemons has, in fact, changed significantly. They're a lot bigger than they were 150-200 years ago. So, while the recipe calls for half a lemon, it could be that with a 2018 lemon, half is simply too much. Wondrich did his best to make adjustments but it's still tricky with fruit.

      As such, the combination may be the problem. The intensity of the lemon may bring out something a little funky in the liquors. Again, it's not exactly unpleasant - just less than smooth.

      Delete
  2. I'm a purist. I don't like to adulterate my drinks. My coffee is black, my tea is unsweetened and my whiskey is on the rocks :) Of course, I will have a mint julep in the spring and maybe a hot toddy or hot buttered rum when it's really cold (which it hasn't been since I moved back south four years ago). But I'm curious about your experiences with these drinks!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, as a drinker, I'm generally with you. I like beer and wine. A scotch on the rocks after dinner is a fine thing. But mixing is fun! I enjoy making the drinks as much as I enjoy drinking them, if not more so.

      Delete
  3. I like the recipe and will try it- but I may make some changes to it for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... What changes do you think you would try? Be sure to report back!

      Delete
  4. I'd be willing to try it but I have a feeling rye is not my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the stuff. At some point, there is likely to be a rye v. bourbon post here.

      Delete