Tuesday, August 24, 2021

State of the Blog 2021



Blogging Year 13, here we go!

It's going to be a big year for my family.  Our daughter begins her senior year of high school tomorrow.  Momentous occasions will abound.  Big decisions shall be made.  A year from now, we'll know the answers to many questions.  Big questions.  Suddenly, everything feels like a huge deal.

Obviously, I think a lot these days about things I want to be sure we do before she heads off to college.  I also project forward to the empty nest experience for my wife and me.  A few years ago, I told my wife that I don't want to be the sort of couple who waits for the kids to leave to get to know each other again.  I don't think we are that couple but I want to enjoy being that couple now.  So, as I think about how to spend my hobby time over the coming year, I think of new - and old - interests we should explore together. 

For instance, maybe it's time to give wine another try.  Mind you, it's still her default alcoholic beverage choice whereas I am a beer man.  Wine, particularly red, makes me sleepy.  That's not always a terrible thing but it's not what I want every night.  I also haven't been overly impressed by the classes we've taken.  Perhaps they at least taught us enough to do more informed exploring on our own.  Surely, there are compromises to be worked out here.  I don't know if I'll blog about wine again but you never know.

For now, I'm going to stick with the same blogging schedule...

Mondays: comic books
Wednesdays: family adventures
Fridays: Star Trek

As stated in yesterday's post, I am going to switch from Star Wars back to Marvel in comic books.  However, my Marvel Unlimited subscription runs out in January and I am not currently planning to renew.  So, I will probably move to a twice weekly, Tuesday/Friday schedule when that happens.

Family adventures posts will likely continue to focus on food, especially cocktails.  I will continue with Bitters of the Month as long as locally-available supply and shelf space allow.

As for Trek, I'm planning to continue as I have, beginning with TNG Season 5 right soon.  Deep Space Nine premiered during the middle of NextGen's sixth season so we should be able to explore that one together before long, too.  It will be my second time through DS9 as we binged it as a family this past year.  Without a doubt, it's my favorite of the NextGen era series.


As always, if you enjoy reading The Squid half as much as I enjoy writing it, we're all doing fine.  Keep in touch.

9 comments:

  1. You are busy and a transformation in your home is soon coming. I like the way you and your wife are thinking. I enjoy your mixed drinks and Star Trek. Keep enjoying the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never been married, but I lived with/near my sister for long stretches at a time, and we had things we enjoyed watching together. Kind of important to have overlapping interests of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we do. Plenty. It's also important to... renew from time to time. Revisit old interests, discover new ones. We've lived together for 22 years and we're still learning about each other. I think that's a good thing.

      Delete
  3. Lots of changes and good for you to anticipate how your daughter leaving home will change your relationship with your wife. I think you should show us a photo of your liquor and bitter cabinet :). It must be impressive.

    https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Apothic: Inferno. That's my favorite red.
    As for beer, I'm enjoying Mad River Brewery, right now, especially their Jamaica Red.

    ReplyDelete