Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Squid Mixes: Brooklyn


A Brooklyn combines rye, dry vermouth, maraschino liqueur and Angostura bitters with a cherry garnish.  I got my recipe from Liquor.com.  Actually, most recipes, including this one, call for Amer Picon, an orange peel liqueur nearly impossible to find in the United States.  In fact, it's probably because of this rare ingredient that the Brooklyn is not as popular as the Manhattan or the Bronx.  Angostura is the typically recommended substitute.  The drink dates back to at least 1908, its first appearance in print.  

I made this drink when we watched the final episode of Brooklyn 99.  One definitely gets the cherry in the nose.  I think the color is a little pinkish though I wonder if that's merely psychological.

No comments:

Post a Comment