Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Squid Eats: The Grill from Ipanema

The Grill from Ipanema is one of my parents' favorite restaurants in their Washington, DC neighborhood of Kalorama.  I had been once before but our most recent visit was the first for my wife and daughter.

As the name suggests, the restaurant favors Brazilian cuisine.  My parents like it because it's quiet.  One can easily hold a conversation.  Popular date spot - there were lots of young couples.  One of the rooms was closed off for the evening.  A couple of NBA players were filming an interview.  No, I didn't recognize either of them.  My daughter commented, "they're so tall!"

The food's very nice, though my parents gave us some solid intel up front: you can't go wrong with the seafood dishes, the meat dishes are less dependable.  My father and I each ordered a paella.  It was delicious but huge!  We would have been better off ordering one to share.  Next time.

They have a full bar.  I ordered a Manhattan.  I'm pretty sure they used Martini & Rossi for the vermouth - had that distinct oregano aftertaste.  My daughter commented that it looked more reddish than mine (she's still too young to drink them but she has a discerning eye).  My guess is the vermouth to whiskey ratio was higher than my recipe.  My mother is a devoted fan of their caiprinhas.  

The service is both polite and professional.  Overall, it was an excellent experience.  We'll surely be back.

4 comments:

  1. Your plate looks delicious. I'm impressed with how discerning you are and able to tell what kind of mixes they use in their drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not pretend to be a vermouth expert but I've learned a lot. The M&R is distinct.

      Delete
  2. Now, see, this isn't fair. How am I supposed to try them out?
    :P

    ReplyDelete