Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Squid Eats: The Big Spruce

The Big Spruce, a Mexican restaurant in Richmond, Vermont, was the site of our recent St. Patrick's Day date.  Through the pandemic, it has been a frequent takeout choice though this was my first time dining in-person.  My wife had been once before.

They had oysters for 6 for $6 so obviously we had to start with a dozen.  Oysters have become our thing over the past few years - a must order whenever they're on the menu.  Then tacos for the entree.  I tried the hot chicken taco and the crispy chicken taco.  Both were nice but I preferred the former.  Churros for dessert - splitting a single order of five was plenty for both of us.  Decent beer list.  My wife enjoyed her margarita.

The service was friendly and professional.  The decor is predominantly green - not a bad choice for a drinking establishment, even if it only pays off in full one day a year.  I love their logo (see above).  We arrived early, thus missing the crowd - a benefit of middle age sensibilities.  Business was definitely picking up as we were leaving.

I still prefer Mad Taco but The Big Spruce makes for a nice change of pace from time to time.

2 comments:

  1. A Mexican restaurant for St. Paddy's day... We have not eaten out much in the past two years and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, I hear you. Vermont restaurants are no longer requiring masks. I think the change is premature but it's nice to at least FEEL like we're getting back to normal. Supposedly our intensive care numbers are down. That's good.

      Be well.

      Delete