Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Squid Mixes: Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Yes, I've had that pun locked and loaded for weeks.

Several weeks ago, I posted about Arcana Botanica's Brimstone Bitters.  The Vermont-based company also makes a do-it-yourself absinthe immersion kit.  Once again, the process is simple.  You throw the muslin bag in some booze and let it sit.  The recipe calls for 100-proof vodka for the job, not something I usually keep in the cabinet so I had to buy a bottle.  I accidentally left the bag in a couple hours too long but evidently, no permanent damage was done.

To test it, I set it against our usual, French-produced brand Absente, in a D-Day Swizzle battle...

Absinthe Battle: Absente vs. Arcana Botanica

Even with the extra two hours of steeping, the Arcana is milder in flavor than the Absente.  In truth, I couldn't even taste the Arcana in the cocktail.  If you can't taste it, what's the point?  So, the real deal won out.

Winner and Still Champion: Absente


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A little goes a long way. I don't need or want a lot of anise flavor in my cocktails. A hint is just right.

      Delete
  2. Nice pun. I also have never used absinthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not at all sure it would go well with the brown base liquors you favor.

      Delete
  3. Good ole Absinthe that made the Victorians swoon.

    ReplyDelete