Sunday, June 22, 2014

Family Movie Night: Frozen

Title: Frozen
Director: Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee
Original Release: 2013
Choice: Our Girl's
My Overall Rating: 4 stars out of 5
via The DisneyWiki
I'm pretty sure My Wife and I were the last two people on Earth to see Frozen.  Our Girl watched it with Grandma during a visit but this was her big chance to share it with us.  To say Frozen is a successful film is to say the sky is blue.  It is the fifth-highest grossing film of all-time and also picked up two Oscars: Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song ("Let It Go" - apparently my niece sings it at the top of her lungs in the bathtub).  The movie was inspired by The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen.  Just in case you've managed to stay away longer than we did, a quick synopsis, via Wikipedia: "the film tells the story of a fearless princess who sets off on an epic journey alongside a rugged mountain man, his loyal pet reindeer, and a hapless snowman to find her estranged sister, whose icy powers have inadvertently trapped the kingdom in eternal winter."



The film is visually awesome.  There is no denying that.  I am not exactly enamored of a winter wonderland since I live in one for a decent portion of the year.  Even so, the world of Frozen is breathtaking.  The story is cute, but not exactly revolutionary - fairly predictable and everyone gets what they deserve.  One expects the franchise will be with us for a while.  There's already a stage musical in the works.  And ABC's Once Upon a Time series is set to make use of the characters in its upcoming season.  ABC, of course, is owned by Disney.

I will confess that I am not a big fan of the songs - nearly all in the current wailing Broadway delivery for which I do not care.  There are a couple of choral arrangements, however, that are more my speed.  I enjoyed the orchestral score, too, composed by Christophe Beck.

Overall, good movie.  We'll definitely be watching it again sometime.  I'm not prepared to call it great but I do understand the fuss.

If you'd like to learn more about our weekend, My Wife posted about today's arduous hike up Mt. Mansfield.

16 comments:

  1. I look forward to watching Disney movies with a grandchild (if I ever get one--my kids are too lazy to procreate).

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which Disney movie is your favorite, Janie?

      Delete
    2. I can't choose one. I love Fantasia from olden golden times and Beauty and the Beast from The Hurricane's childhood.

      Delete
    3. Great choices. I'd say I prefer Miyazaki and Pixar to the more recent Disney movies, though.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the movie, and I have caught myself singing "Let It Go" at the top of my lungs in the shower. And in the car. And at work. And possibly some other places, too.

    I loved Olaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought it was really good and the snow and ice effects amazing, but still stunned by how much money it's made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by the raw numbers, too I mean it's good but a billion dollars good?

      Delete
  4. I will watch it when it comes on TV late at night when I can't sleep.
    Just seeing the trailers on TV was plenty for me. The characters remind me Tangled. The animation is nice.
    Did it deserve to win an Oscar ? if you count money as a factor and possible that it is one of the better Disney movies ? Maybe.
    I chose two other possible winners.
    Japanese son took daughter to see it and he would have passed it by if her could. Granddaughter just turned four and there are Barbies or Princesses
    or hot pink are checked at the door. Some find their way in, they are not banned but not given any importance.
    Well, he liked the movie maybe because daughter had so much fun. And yes, granddaughter sings the song too. but not so much anymore.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it deserved to win but I can understand why it did - visual dazzle and Disney political clout. That's usually enough.

      Delete
  5. I thought it was okay, but doubt it will be considered a classic years from now. Good use of standard tropes and characters that were put together well, but nothing that really moved me or made me laugh. However, still a lot better than much of what passes for kids' movies these days (Planes 2 anybody?).

    mood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see this movie speaking to people visually years from now. It's more than just a matter of "effects." There's a very appealing artistic flair.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. If you do watch it, I'd be interested to know what you think.

      Delete
  7. My niece brought this with her when she stayed with us last week so Aunt Susie could finally watch it. I *still* didn't manage to sit down to view it. We did a lot of swimming, though. Even with clouds. :)

    ReplyDelete