Monday, June 30, 2014

Wimbledon 2014: Second Week

via Wikipedia
Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova was a dynamo on the junior circuit.  She won the Australian Open girls singles title twice, in 2002 and 2003.  In doubles, she was even better, picking up championship trophies at Aussie, Roland Garros and Wimbledon.  The senior tour has been more of a struggle.  In an era of tall women with ferocious power games, the 5' 5" Czech has had a respectable, though not exactly world-conquering career.  She had never made it past the third round of a Major until last week.

Every Slam tournament has its giant killers.  They're a big part of the fun.  Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova has taken out two seeded players en route to Wimbledon's second week: Na Li (2nd seed, China) and Elena Vesnina (32nd, Russia).  Her next opponent, today on Court 12, is Caroline Wozniacki (16th, Denmark), my pre-tournament favorite.  On the one hand, BZS did Wozniacki a huge favorite by taking out Li and Vesnina.  Wozniacki has never made it past the fourth round at Wimbledon so this is a great opportunity.  On the other hand, who's to say the giant killer won't strike again?

9 comments:

  1. Go for it giant killer !
    In that photos she reminds me of a good friend of mine. I am so on board with her winning.
    I really enjoy reading your blog. You are so full of fun and interesting (red shirts) information and I can tell ow much you enjoy writing your posts.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, parsnip! I do enjoy it very much. And you've caught on: I'm all about the red shirts, in any idiom.

      And what do you know? She beat Wozniacki! Look out Kvitova...

      Delete
  2. I am 5'5". Perhaps I can be a giant killer. Are Venus and Serena playing? They are beautiful, but so strong they are scary.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, both Venus and Serena lost in the third round.

      Delete
    2. I don't think they're having a good year.

      Delete
    3. On the other hand, they're still playing at an age long past when most players have called it a day. Serena's 32 years old and #1 in the world. On her best day, she's still unbeatable. Venus turns 35 this month. She is a mere shadow of the player she once was but is still ranked high enough to play as a seed at the Majors.

      Delete
  3. Hehe...giant killers! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that what they call them? "Giant killers?" Or is that a term you made up? Whichever way, I love it. Makes the sport sound very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I made it up. But I do like it.

      The sport IS very exciting, Stephanie!

      Delete