Sunday, June 1, 2014

Family Movie Night: Madagascar

Title: Madagascar
Directors: Eric Darnell and Tom McGrath
Original Release: 2005
Choice: Our Girl's
My Overall Rating: 4 stars out of 5
via Madagascar Wiki
Through misadventures, four pals from the Central Park Zoo - a lion, a zebra, a hippo and a giraffe - suddenly find themselves shipwrecked on Madagascar.  So begins one of DreamWorks Animation's major franchises.  This was our second time watching the movie for Family Movie Night and part of what I expect to be Our Girl's long-running series of films involving penguins.  The story is not especially original, nor is the writing worth much beyond a few slapstick guffaws.  But the computer animation is fantastic.  The wilderness of Madagascar is beautiful, of course.  The recreation of New York is faithful, too - especially Grand Central Station and the 59th Street subway platform.  It's a kids' movie and it's fun.  At our house, that's usually enough.

 

Watching the movie did inspire genuine curiosity for me about the nation of Madagascar.  Get ready for Cliff Clavin Mode.  Did you know...
  • 90% of the animals native to Madagascar are found nowhere else in the world.
  • As such, many ecologists consider the island to be, in effect, an eighth continent.
  • There are over 100 species and subspecies of lemur in Madagascar.
  • According to a 2012 survey, there are over 200 species of mammal, about 300 birds, 260 reptiles and 266 amphibians native to the island.
  • The island's unique wildlife is the result of 88 million years of isolation.
  • Madagascar is the world's fourth-largest island, after Greenland, New Guinea and Borneo.
The music's fun.  The movie's best-known song is "I Like to Move It" as performed by Sacha Baron Cohen.  The film's opening sequence is set to "Born Free" as sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

21 comments:

  1. I had didn't see this movie when it came out I was going to wait for video. But one super tired evening (looking at Universities) we watched it in the hotel we were staying at and I so enjoyed it
    I love the penguins !
    KOWALSKI I my favorite ! Good Polish name.
    I thought the computer animation was very good The waves of air flowing through the Lions mane was beautiful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very pretty movie. The lion's mane - you could almost run a hand through it.

      Delete
  2. My kids have liked the Madagascar movies much more than I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the Madagascar movies and have watched them many times with my son. The animation is great. You have to admire the skill of those who work on films like this and it certainly gets plenty of laughs from my son.
    I love to read peoples post but I actually have an ulterior motive for visiting your blog today. I am trying to help a little dog called Mako. Mako was rescued from a life that had been spent tied on a roof in Peru. as a result of his time spent out in the burning sun Mako developed Cancer, which means his life expectancy is now uncertain. As Mako is looking for his forever home, his cancer proves a big problem. Finding someone willing to take on a dog with no idea how long he might live is a difficult task. Suzanne Yancey has asked for me to help and I am asking fellow bloggers to do the same. Mako's only hope comes from reaching as many people as possible. Perhaps you could pop over to my blog and take a look at Mako's post there and maybe, if you have the time, create a post to help spread the word about his predicament. Thanks Joss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a marvelous review Armchair Squid. The music is brilliant and my son and I could sing "Move it, move it" all day. The funny thing is I watched the third one before the first and still haven't seen the second. I'm wishing you a gr8 rest of the day.

      Delete
    2. I watched the Toy Story movies in a similar order to yours with Madagascar. I haven't seen either of the sequels to this one yet.

      Delete
  5. I love Madagascar! When I was helping to take care of my two toddler nephews they wanted to watch it everyday, on repeat. But I didn't mind it because the characters and story line are cute, plus it's funny and the music is catchy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loads of fun. Not exactly substantive. But loads of fun.

      Delete
  6. Great family movie. And the colors were so pretty! We saw it in the theater when my stepdaughter was still at the age where she liked animated movies. Now she's 14...the last time she asked to go to a movie it was to see The Other Woman. Enjoy these years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wondering how long the interest in "kids' movies" will last. She's 10. I'm guessing we've got a couple more years.

      Delete
  7. This is a great movie - very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a great film. My girls had a good laugh watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Get ready for Cliff Clavin Mode.'

    :) Bring it.

    ReplyDelete