Monday, June 9, 2014

On the Coffee Table: Chew

Title: Chew, Volume One: Taster's Choice
Writer: John Layman
Artist: Rob Guillory
via Goodreads
Okay, I will admit upfront that the premise for this comic book series is flat out disgusting.  Those of you who know the medium are likely already familiar with the critically-acclaimed Chew.  As for the rest of you, I shall understand your visceral repulsion.  That said, trust me: this one's good!

Tony Chu is a cibopath.  As far as I can tell, John Layman invented both the word and the concept.  A cibopath instantly accesses the back story of anything s/he eats.  As one might imagine (or prefer not to), that's quite a handy skill for a detective, especially when a corpse turns up.  I expect you can see where this is going so I won't belabor the point.  Envision a combination of The Dead Zone, Pushing Daisies and Silence of the Lambs.

Other characters have gastronomic powers, too.  The love interest, Amelia Mintz, is a saboscrivner, meaning she can write about her own eating experiences so accurately that the reader gets the exact same sensations she did.  As such, she's a highly effective and unusually dangerous food critic.

This was not my first exposure to Chew.  A couple years ago, I tried a single issue from the series and was too grossed out to continue.  But when Goodreads recommended it, I thought I'd at least try starting from the beginning.  Not unlike my experience with The Walking Dead, I was pleasantly surprised. 

So, why does Chew work?  Strip away the grody and it's a classic detective story.  The food quirks inspire an extra level of curiosity.    With Walking Dead, I made it through four trades or 24 issues before I'd finally had enough.  We'll see if I can do any better with Chew.

8 comments:

  1. Geez that would be a tough one to take. I'd eat nothing but mushrooms and salad. I'll take your word on it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gets the horror stories from vegetable matter, too. The only exception - his kryptonite, essentially - is beets. So he eats a lot of them.

      Delete
  2. It sounds kinda icky, but at the same time, I do like the uniqueness. It's a pretty cool twist to the normal detective story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheer inventiveness is undeniable - the creation of a sick, twisted and brilliant mind.

      Delete
  3. I've read a few issues of Chew. Very clever writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. No, I don't think I couldn't stomach a story that involves eating people, but I find the premise fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total wimp when it comes to such things. And yet, this one works for me... so far...

      Delete