Friday, January 25, 2019

A Window Above: Help!

Song: "Help!"
Writers: John Lennon and Paul McCartney
Original Release: July 19, 1965
Band: The Beatles



The Beatles story is one of a meteoric rise to unprecedented teen idol fame followed by a gradual transformation into something far more meaningful and enduring.  It's astonishing to ponder the fact that "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" were spawned by the same four young men, just three years apart.  1965 was their cusp year when they shifted from straight up rock 'n' roll to world-changing art rock.  Interestingly, many of the best songs from their entire opus emerged during this time: "Yesterday," "In My Life," "Norwegian Wood," "We Can Work It Out," etc.  The first signs of teeter-totter over that edge could be seen in the lead single from their second feature film.

It's hard to call "Help!" under-appreciated.  Rolling Stone ranked it as the 29th greatest rock song ever in 2011.  Only six Beatles songs ranked above it, plus John Lennon's "Imagine."  (That's right: eight of the 30 best ever were penned by Beatles.  Not exactly surprising but certainly impressive.)  But it's still not usually a song that comes up when people discuss the band's masterpieces.  To me, there are few if any more perfect pop songs in existence: a beautiful melange of the frenetic energy of the early '60s with the Dylan-esque mellow of the decade's latter half.  Have you ever heard the Beatles' Love album, a wonderful collection of remixes created for Cirque de Soleil?  Did you notice that "Help!" is the one song that's virtually untouched?  They may have messed with some of the levels but there's little doctoring compared to the other tracks.  Why?  They got that one right the first time.

Lennon described "Help!" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" as his two most honest Beatles songs.  His one regret with the former was the tempo.  He envisioned it as a slower song.  The studio executives wanted it faster.  Far be it from me to question the master but I think the marketing types were right in this case.

As with nearly all Beatles songs, there have been numerous covers by top acts.  Many seem to think Lennon was right as they have generally employed slower tempos.


Roy Orbison - If you only have time for one of these, don't miss this. It's lovely:


Deep Purple:



Tina Turner:



Back up to tempo... Bananarama:



Vitamin String Quartet:



Want to hear all of the songs I have featured in a convenient playlist?

Enjoy: A Window Above

What are you listening to these days?

14 comments:

  1. The Beatles were the first group I remember. I was in the second grade. We were having a cook out with several neighbors and a girl who’s back yard backed up to ours was singing and her father making fun of their music... The things I remember.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The essential element of rock 'n' roll culture: parents scoffing at their children's music.

      Delete
  2. Happy New year!! I know it is almost the end of January but I wanted to give this shout out anyways:) I love the Beatles and didn't know Lennon wanted it more as a ballad. I do prefer the original style best but of the ones I listened to here I give my hat to Deep Purple who really made it their own and placed it on a higher level with all the interesting instruments and styling. I love Roy Orbison but I still give it to Deep Purple. I like Banarama too who kept it close to the original and I know the last one well since I love classical music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you!

      There's definitely a case to be made for Deep Purple here. But I'll always have a soft spot for Roy. While it's impossible to call anything the Beatles ever did under-appreciated, it's easy with Orbison. He was every bit as talented - as both singer and songwriter - as any of the early greats. Never gets his due.

      But the Beatles loved him!

      Delete
  3. For whatever reason, the Beatles just have never really been my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gasp!

      I suppose I can look past that...

      Just curious, who would "your band" be if you have one?

      Delete
    2. Obviously, it's U2.
      And I don't dislike The Beatles; I've just never been into The Beatles.

      Delete
    3. Ah... I should have another U2 post coming along at some point.

      Delete
  4. I haven't been listening to anything except the radio at work that plays repetitive rock. I'd like to kill the band that sings The Boys are Back in Town.

    As for the Beatles, they are my first love. Among my faves is Bluejay Way, and I love Norwegian Wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thin Lizzy! Haha! I am not proud to admit that one came to me right away.

      Bluejay Way is an interesting choice, not one you usually hear, even among the George devotees, among whom I count myself.

      Delete
  5. We have Siris in our car, and enjoy the vinyl classics mostly from the 70s. Get to hear lots of old favorites.

    My favorites are Credence Clearwater, Lynyrd Skynner, Fleetwood Mac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of those, too. My daughter, an old soul, is extremely fond of the latter two.

      Delete
  6. I have always been a Roy Orbison fan (and of course The Beatles).

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete