Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Squid Perks: Tunnel City Coffee


Tunnel City Coffee has two locations, both in northwestern Massachusetts: North Adams and Williamstown.  We went to the one in North Adams during a recent weekend getaway.  We all ordered the iced hibiscus herbal tea but in different sizes: small for me, medium for my wife and a large for our kid.  We didn't plan it that way.  Just happened.  And interestingly, we all finished at about the same time.

The name of the cafe got me curious.  I wasn't aware that North Adams is known as the Tunnel City.  The nearby Hoosac Tunnel is a 4.75-mile railroad tunnel built between 1851 to 1875, costing $21 million - that's quite a lot in 19th century dollars.  Evidently, it was a transformative development for the local economy and the tunnel is still in use today.

Yes, the tea was good - pretty, too.


2 comments:

  1. I hitchhiked into North Adams when I hiked the Appalachian Trail. Coming back to the trail, I was picked up by a young woman, maybe mid-20s, who made several suggestive remarks and even tried to get me to go to a party with her. I declined and had her drop me off at the trailhead.

    ReplyDelete