Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My Football Fantasy: Back to the Drawing Board

College League: lost, 90.30-78.28 (5-8 overall, 11th place out of 12 teams)
Vermont League: lost, 120.96-103.72 (6-7 overall, 7th out of 12)
My Player of the Week: Shonn Greene (Running Back, Jets) with 22 rushing attempts for 88 yards and 3 touchdowns plus 3 receptions for 26 yards


Photo via Turn On The Jets

I am out of the playoffs in both leagues. So, while my baseball system may still afford me improvements in both leagues (I finished 11th in the CL last year, 9th in the VL), it's not good enough. So, I may need to spend time in the off-season devising a more effective fantasy football strategy. I realize this discussion is less interesting without my revealing the specifics of how I run baseball but suffice to say that the greater impact of injuries in football as well as the different position dynamics make it difficult to adapt my system exactly. In short, knowing when to dump a player is more obvious in baseball than it is with football - at least to me.

My failure in the Vermont League is especially puzzling. I had the second-highest scoring team in the league overall and I still didn't make the top six in win-loss. I even had a good week this week, but Mock's was better and that's all that mattered in the end. Lesson learned: even with a strong performance for the season, weekly matchups really do matter. With his victory, Mock grabs the fifth seed in the playoffs and I hope he wins the league. He drew his cousin and my friend Marc in the first round.

I have Shonn Greene in both leagues. I drafted him in the Vermont League and acquired him in a trade with Special Dinner in the College League. At the beginning of the season, he was touted as a potential sleeper but his performance has been mediocre. His 3 touchdowns made him the top running back in fantasy football this past week. Unfortunately, I didn't start him in the VL but it still wouldn't have been enough to catch Mock.

No comments:

Post a Comment