Saturday, December 31, 2011

The New 52: The Third Issues

I'm down to three titles of interest from DC Comics's New 52. Following are my reviews for the third issue of each of those series. I got Green Lantern and Justice League online whereas I picked up a hard copy of Green Lantern New Guardians.


Green Lantern #3


Image via Hill City Comics

Bear in mind, I haven't read issue #4 yet. I don't know what comes next in the Hal Jordan disintegration saga. But I'm becoming a bigger Sinestro fan with each passing month. To me, the idea of the arch-nemesis becoming the superhero is truly inspired. I'm working under the assumption that eventually, Hal Jordan will have survived his current predicament and become the star of the series once again but I'm not sure the GL story will continue to hold my interest in that case. I may be more inclined to follow Sinestro wherever he goes next.

Admittedly, I'm a newbie and not as invested in Hal Jordan as those who've been devoted to the series for years. But I can't help agreeing with Sinestro when he says he's better than Hal, and Hal knows it. I'm pretty sure we all know it. He's smarter, wiser, more disciplined, less impulsive and every bit as strong. The floating Oompa-Loompas feel he is less altruistic but, at least for the moment, that doesn't seem to be the case. His devotion to the people of Korugar, at any rate, appears to be pure and true. I guess I am more a Sinestro fan than a Green Lantern fan. We shall see if that holds going forward.


Justice League #3


Image via Batman-News.com

The brawling. I've really had enough of the brawling. If the big fight scenes are to be the focus of this series, it may also have trouble holding my interest long-term. In a team book, there should be personalities and relationships to explore. I still enjoy the banter between the heroes, though the jabs at Batman for lacking superpowers already feel overdone. However, Green Lantern calling dibs on Wonder Woman was genuinely funny. I'm delighted that Aquaman has been introduced. He was my favorite as a kid. But I'm disappointed that, at least at first appearance, he's a bit of an arrogant jerk. I'm not ready to give up on this series just yet but I'm worried.

While I was less impressed with the story, the artwork for this book is outstanding. There are a lot of nice Wonder Woman images. I like the one of her with a sword in one hand and an ice cream cone in the other.


Image via Maybe Tomorrow

But I'd say my favorite frame was the one of reclaimed-from-the-brink-of-death Cyborg blending back into the scene at the ocean.


Image via World of Black Heroes


Green Lantern New Guardians #3


Image via ComicXHub

My growing distaste for the brawling continues. I need more from these stories. The development, in this issue, of the Orange Lantern Corps was interesting. At this point, despite the fact that I gave up on Red Lanterns after two issues, an examination of each individual corps would be more interesting to me than the New Guardians storyline. Of the three #3 issues I've read, this is the only one that didn't pass my curiosity test for issue #4. However, as with JL #3, a lot of the artwork is highly satisfying. I really like this one:


Image via Quelque chose de bizarre


Summing Up

And then there were two. I promise, I haven't been systematically eliminating titles. I'd have been delighted to be enthralled by all 52 books from the get go. But in my quest for series that I can settle into and enjoy for the foreseeable future, the DC stories aren't doing enough for me. I'm even a bit worried about the two titles I have left. More on those very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment