Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Squid Mixes: Café Frappé

My Francophile wife recently acquired a book which I expect to have a significant impact on my mixological endeavors for the foreseeable future: Drinking French by David Lebovitz.  Lebovitz is an American professional cook/baker/food writer living the ex-pat life in Paris since 2004.  His new book is as much about the café culture of his adopted city as it is about the recipes, of which the cover claims there are 160.  That should keep us busy.


We begin our exploration with café frappé, a combination of espresso, milk, water, sugar and ice.  Preparation is easy, especially if you're already comfortable with a cocktail shaker and your wife makes the espresso the night before.  You don't even have to strain out the ice if you don't want.  The one minor inconvenience: there's too much liquid involved to shake up two at once.

The result was lovely.

14 comments:

  1. I would try this, sounds like drinking coffee ice cream. Non dairy milk for me though - not vegan just don't like animal milks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure one could use almond milk. I don't know if it would froth as satisfyingly. But it would taste nice.

      Delete
  2. I suppose I could have something like that on occasion, but I don't think it would meet our regular coffee standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are your regular coffee standards?

      Delete
    2. Dark, only slightly sweet, and I don't like it either too milky or too watery.
      Having my own espresso machine has really helped me to tweak what I like.

      Delete
    3. Most of the time, I think our tastes would match yours and we also have our own espresso machine. Every once in a while, something different is fun.

      Delete
    4. Here's a link to my favorite coffee:
      https://www.mlcrc.com/product/49er-blend/

      Delete
  3. From cocktails to coffee... I live a boring life as I drink my coffee like my liquor--strong and straight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing boring about either of those choices!

      Delete