Friday, July 31, 2020

Star Trek: Manhunt

Episode: "Manhunt"
Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation
Season 2, Episode 19
Original Air Date: June 9, 1989
Manhunt (episode) | Memory Alpha | Fandom
via Memory Alpha
The Enterprise is transporting delegates to a conference, including two Antedeans and Lwaxanna Troi (Majel Barrett).  Lwaxanna wants a man.  Naturally, Picard is her primary target.  When he spurns her, she turns her attention to Riker, much to Deanna's dismay.  She sizes up Worf and - yikes - Wesley, too.  Meanwhile, Picard manages to escape into a Dixon Hill fantasy on the holodeck.  The noir tale is based on Farewell, My Lovely and The Little Sister, both by Raymond Chandler.

"Manhunt" was another Tracy Tormé script gone awry.  Tormé intended the Dixon Hill story as the primary narrative but all changed when Lwaxanna, played by Gene Roddenberry's wife, came into the picture.  As with "The Royale," he was so upset with the changes that he insisted on the use of a pseudonym: Terry Devereaux.  I can't say I blame him.  I like the Dixon Hill part better, too.  I'm also not a Lwaxanna fan.

That said, there is genuine, laugh-out-loud humor in the episode.  Once Picard realizes Lwaxanna's intentions at an unexpectedly intimate dinner, he recruits Data to join them.  Lwaxanna is not impressed:




Acting Notes
Mick Fleetwood - Wikipedia
via Wikipedia
Mick Fleetwood (one of the Antedean dignitaries) is the second member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to be featured in this space.  He was born Michael John Kells Fleetwood, June 24, 1947 in Redruth, England.  Interestingly, like fellow rocker Michelle Phillips, Fleetwood spent large portions of his childhood living abroad - Egypt and Norway - as his father was in the Royal Air Force.  As a result, Fleetwood is fluent in Norwegian.

Mick Fleetwood is most famous as the leader and drummer of Fleetwood Mac, one of the best-selling rock bands in history.  He is, in fact, the only member to stay with the band through its entire existence.  Without a doubt, they were one of the dominant musical forces of the 1970s.  Overall, the band had three albums reach the top of the Billboard charts.  Their 1977 album Rumours is a rock and roll masterpiece.  Fleetwood's writing credits are few, but do include his contributions to this classic, the band's usual concert opener on tour:



His acting career has been modest, also appearing in The Running Man.  He has also dabbled in wine production and owns a couple of restaurants.

Mick Fleetwood | Memory Alpha | Fandom
via Memory Alpha
Fleetwood is a huge Star Trek fan.   He objected neither to the two-and-a-half hours for makeup nor to the fact that he would be unrecognizable on screen.

Manhunt (episode) | Memory Alpha | Fandom
via Memory Alpha

12 comments:

  1. Dear Squid, I'm afraid I AM a Lwaxanna fan, for her character's ability to bring humor to the show, but also her practical value of sensing fellow delegates' robes are lined with explosive "ultritium". I also second bartender Rex's line,"You're as much class as this joint's ever seen." And, of course Picard's line:"As a telepath, your mother's accuracy leaves much to be desired." reminds me of my childhood when I desired my own mother to be less alert to any mischief I might think up. Mainly I had fun watching that episode again (Netflix) and thank you for sending me there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to see Lwaxanna from her daughter's perspective, I think. As such, she makes me uncomfortable.

      I will concede the humor. The scene I have included is absolutely wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I should find it on Polish Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just a science nerd, but listening to Data's stories would be awesome for me.

    I'm okay with the character of Lwaxanna, some of her appearances are tiresome.

    Got to give this episode an A for effort trying to breakaway from strictly humanoid aliens. Given the costs and production time demands, the Antedeans are nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to be clear, I don't think it's a terrible episode. We've seen far worse to this point. If I were in charge, I would have encouraged things in a different direction.

      Delete
  4. They have always been one near the top of my favorites.

    Lwaxanna was irritating. She was so one dimensional most of the time.

    "The Chain" was used in Guardians of the Galaxy, great use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like laxwana and it gave the actress to show her acting chops. These fish guys were funny and I knew Fleetwood was in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the actress. She's the original First Officer, after all!

      Delete
  6. Also, not a fan.
    And I had no idea about Fleetwood being in ST.

    ReplyDelete