Friday, July 3, 2020

Star Trek: Q Who

Episode: "Q Who"
Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation
Season 2, Episode 16
Original Air Date: May 8, 1989

Q Who (episode) | Memory Alpha | Fandom
via Memory Alpha

The mischievous Q sends the Enterprise careening into a new, distant part of the galaxy and into contact with the Borg, the ultimate in heartless, irresistible conquerors.  The Borg would become the primary adversary for TNG, the Ferengi having failed miserably in that capacity.  Despite their significance, the Borg only appear in six series episodes.  This is not unusual for Trek.  After all, the Klingons only appeared in seven TOS episodes, the Romulans only two.  In the dying days of the Cold War, a metaphorical threat to individuality and free will was still topical.  In this, the Borg were comparable to Doctor Who's Cybermen.

In the years since, there has been much discussion over how much of a "favor" Q did for our friends in bringing them into early contact with the Borg.  At the end of the episode, it is acknowledged that the collective will be heading to Earth now that they know it's there.  Damn Q!  But were they headed that way already and Q was providing early warning to prepare?  Had they, in fact, already been to Earth?  Later stories would imply both.  History can be revised to suit needs in a storytelling context.

Q Who (episode) | Memory Alpha | Fandom
via Memory Alpha


"Q Who" is also a rare development episode for Guinan.  We learn a lot - and yet not much at all - in Q's standoff with Gunian on Ten Forward.  Q knows her and, far more interestingly, fears her.  And if she is truly as dangerous as he claims, it's revealing that he didn't realize she was aboard the Enterprise - omniscient entity fail.  The series has already hinted that there's a lot more to our favorite bartender than meets the eye and this is the first story that probes.  We never make it far down that thread which is too bad. 


Acting Notes

Image result for john de lancie first nights
via Wikipedia

John de Lancie (Q) was born November 13, 1948 in Philadelphia.  His father was the principal oboist for the Philadelphia Orchestra for 23 years.  He struggled in school due to un-diagnosed dyslexia but was encouraged by a teacher to pursue acting, eventually winning a scholarship to Julliard.

De Lancie made 12 appearances as Q on three different Star Trek series.  Even though his is only a recurring role, he has acknowledged that the association opened quite a lot of doors for him.  In addition to his acting, he's done significant work in the classical music realm.  He has written and directed ten symphonic plays, hosted an adult concert series at Disneyland and even directed Tosca with the Atlanta Opera company.  He toured with Star Trek: Music, a concert series devoted to music from the franchise, narrated by him and Robert Picardo.  He is also a successful voice actor, most prominently as Discord in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic series.

10 comments:

  1. I am of the opinion that Q, a super-advanced being that lives outside normal spacetime, did the Federation a favor by taking the Enterprise out to the Delta Quadrant. I understand we have a bit of a Bootstrap Paradox with the Borg's obsession with Earth and the Federation but Starfleet simply had no idea what was coming.

    The last episode of the first season clearly implicates the Borg for the missing Neutral Zone asteroid bases.

    Q's still a dick, but I expect rescued wild animals think the same of humans pulling them out of trouble. I saved a baby rabbit from my cat and the little sucker still tried to bite me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit it. I had to Google "Bootstrap Paradox."

      I love the analogy in your last paragraph.

      Delete
  2. The few episodes I did see with Q all I wanted to say was shoot him now. Not very Kumbaya of me.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand the character either. However, I can't deny his potency as a narrative device.

      Delete
  3. I used to watch him on some soap opera my mom watched when I was in middle school, so I already liked him when he played Q.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Days of Our Lives! We used to watch after lunch in college.

      Delete
  4. Although "Measure of a Man" was pivotal and great, I kind of think of this episode as the true start of "good TNG."

    Hmm, I think I also remember Q from that soap opera that my mom watched, too! I think his character's name was "Eugene" and he was a nerdy inventor or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eugene Bradford! He created a time machine in his final episode, also in 1989, and disappeared. I wonder if that choice was an homage to Q. There must have been a Trekkie on Days's writing staff...

      There is narrative power in settling the moral landscape. In my opinion, part of why Episode V is the greatest in the Star Wars run is the fact that Yoda and the Emperor are both introduced, setting the end points of the Light/Dark Force spectrum and thus setting the stage for all future stories. I feel introducing the Borg has a similar impact: okay, now we know what we're up against. Let's get to work.

      Delete
  5. Q was a hoot. An irritating one to be sure, but de Lancie brought home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no complaints about the actor. It's the character who annoys me.

      That said, as noted above, he's a fantastic plot device.

      Delete