Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Squid Mixes: Capricious


A capricious combines gin, dry vermouth, elderflower liqueur and Peychaud's Bitters.  I got my recipe from Mr. Boston.  The cocktail was invented by Eric Alperin for the St. Germaine company, which produces elderflower liqueur.

There's a lot going on flavor-wise.  The drink reminded me of a fresh lychee: sweet with floral hints and a bitterness close to the pit.  It's quite pretty in the glass, the bitters supplying a delicate pink.


Vermouth Battles: Noilly Prat vs. Gambarelli & Davitto


Noilly Prat is a French brand based in Marseillan.  The original product was a dry vermouth, more typical of France, but the line now includes both red and amber varieties.  The brand has been owned by Martini & Rossi, an Italian company, since 1971.


The Manhattan Test Decision: Noilly Prat

We both preferred Noilly Prat.  My wife described it as cleaner.  Next we'll put it up against Tribuno.  For now, they are...

Co-Champions: Noilly Prat and Tribuno

6 comments:

  1. Looks like the cat will enjoy too. :) Sounds like a strong drink, but the flavours sound amazing. I had to send cocktail recipes to someone and I should have checked this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good websites these days that one hardly needs recipe books anymore. I find the web especially handy when I'm looking for uses for relatively unusual ingredients.

      Delete
  2. Fine wines, port and cocktails are best enjoyed shared. Its tough looking at all this awesome vintage and not being able to take a tinchy sip, not fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      If I can ever figure out how to make a bloggers' cocktail party work, I'll let you know.

      Delete
  3. We've gone heavy into tiki cocktails.
    Most of them are, of course, rum. I'm not sure we'll try any of the non-rum ones. My wife really doesn't have any interest in those.
    I may have some reviews soon, if I can find some time to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're diving into sours at the moment. There are rum sours, though I don't know if we'll get to them. Stay tuned.

      Delete