Saturday, April 16, 2011

A to Z, The Orioles' Legacy: Bob Nieman

Player: Bob Nieman
Years of Service: 6 (1951-52, 1956-59)
Position: Outfielder


Image via Seth.com

Nieman hit home runs in his first two major league at-bats, the first player ever to do so. He is the first on my A to Z list to play in both St. Louis Brown and Baltimore Oriole uniforms. He also played one year in Japan for the Chunichi Dragons.

******************

For each letter of the A to Z Challenge, I will feature one player from Baltimore Orioles/St. Louis Browns history. I hope you will join me. I hope you'll also check out the other 1200+ blogs participating. See the full list at Tossing It Out.



My friend and fellow music teacher Marc is jumping into the A to Z Challenge a little late but is doing double-time to catch up. Check him out at Marc Whitman's Blog.

2 comments:

  1. He also played one year in Japan for the Chunichi Dragons.


    I must admit I did not know American players went to Japan as early as the 60s....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a game at Oriole Field once. Is that what it's called? I don't remember. Been over 10 years since I lived in the DC area.

    ReplyDelete