Friday, April 22, 2011

A to Z, The Orioles' Legacy: George Sisler

Player: George Sisler
Years of Service: 13 (1915-27)
Position: First Baseman


Photo via HowStuffWorks

Sisler is probably the best player on my A to Z list. He was one of history's best pure hitters. His record for hits in a season, 257 in 1920, stood for 84 years before Ichiro Suzuki finally broke it with 262. He was league MVP in 1922, a season in which he enjoyed a 41-game hitting streak. He led the American League in stolen bases four times, hits twice, batting average twice and runs once. He served as team player/manager from 1924-26. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1939.

******************

For each letter of the A to Z Challenge, I will feature one player from Baltimore Orioles/St. Louis Browns history. I hope you will join me. I hope you'll also check out the other 1200+ blogs participating. See the full list at Tossing It Out.


No comments:

Post a Comment