Friday, April 29, 2011

A to Z, The Orioles' Legacy: Mike Young

Player: Mike Young
Years of Service: 6 (1982-87)
Position: Outfielder/Designated Hitter


Image via Baseball Almanac

Alas, the only photo I could find for Young has him in a Brewers uniform. Young played in Milwaukee in 1988. His career stats: .247 batting average, 72 home runs and 235 RBI.

******************

"Your X is a cop-out," My Wife said to me yesterday morning. That's what she said. What I heard was "Your ex is a cop-out." I was more than a little confused. As far as I know, My Wife isn't in close touch with any of my old flames and, indeed, has only ever met a few of them. What any of them might have done to inspire her disdain was baffling to me.

What she meant, of course, is that I had cheated by using Mike Devereaux as my Letter X post. I anticipated some flack on that one, I must admit. I would argue, however, that an X at the end of a word is no less an X than one at the beginning. There's no shame in bringing up the rear. All hail, the French silent X!

******************

For each letter of the A to Z Challenge, I will feature one player from Baltimore Orioles/St. Louis Browns history. I hope you will join me. I hope you'll also check out the other 1200+ blogs participating. See the full list at Tossing It Out.


No comments:

Post a Comment