Tuesday, July 5, 2011

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 19: A Song from Your Favorite Album

Song: "Flamenco Sketches"
Composers: Miles Davis and Bill Evans
Performers: Miles Davis (trumpet), John Coltrane (tenor sax), Cannonball Adderley (alto sax), Jimmy Cobb (drums), Paul Chambers (double bass) and Bill Evans (piano)
Album: Kind of Blue by Miles Davis



Jazz and coffee.

My first year out of college was a very important year in my personal journey, as I'm sure it is for many people. It was a fairly quiet year, especially in comparison to the Japan and New York years which would follow. I lived in St. Paul, Minnesota, just a few blocks away from my sister and her husband. It's a lovely city, though not the best for a single man without a car. Nonetheless, I learned a lot about myself that year. Jazz and coffee were two passions which I developed in that period.

Kind of Blue is my desert island album. Davis's combo was essentially a jazz all-star team of the late '50s. While I might not call it my favorite song, if I were told I had to listen to one tune of my choice over and over again for the rest of my life, I would pick "Flamenco Sketches." It goes down so smoothly, like good whiskey. I would happily bathe in "Flamenco Sketches."

*********************

I hope you'll join us for the "30 Songs in 30 Days" challenge, inspired by the tumblr list. Our 30 Songs roster:

Stay on target...
Marc Whitman's Blog
Haley says "Hello" To You

It's never too late to post your own. Tomorrow is...

Day 20: A Song That You Listen to When You're Angry

4 comments:

  1. My husband loves this album. He played trumpet in high school and was later the lead singer in a garage band. The two of you would get along famously, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt. It was trombone and a capella groups for me.

      Delete
  2. I had this album for a while and then lost it. I loved to put it on and just lay back and listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's what it's for. I've recently gotten more into Bill Evans in particular. The piano in "Flamenco Sketches" is sublime.

      Delete