Friday, July 8, 2011

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 22: A Song That You Listen to When You're Sad

Song: "Ain't No Sunshine"
Writer: Bill Withers
Performer: Bill Withers
Album: Just as I Am



See Day 20. Same philosophy, different song.

This song only gets better with age. I love its sparseness, its quiet. There is honest pain in this number. You can really see the raindrops streaking down the window glass with this one. Simple. Perfect.

*********************

I hope you'll join us for the "30 Songs in 30 Days" challenge, inspired by the tumblr list. Our 30 Songs roster:

Stay on target...
Marc Whitman's Blog
Haley says "Hello" To You

It's never too late to post your own. Tomorrow is...

Day 23: A Song That You Want to Play at Your Wedding

3 comments:

  1. I have always loved this song. McCartney has a decent version, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. One of my favorite songs ever. When he gears up for the 'I know' run, it's just...no one does it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "I know" bit has a great story to it, too! Withers fully intended to write another verse and put the "I know" run in as filler. The other players in the recording session convinced him to leave it exactly as it was.

      Seriously, this song is darn near perfect. It's a great lesson in the beauty of simplicity.

      Delete