Thursday, September 22, 2011

The New 52: Batman

Title: Batman
Issue: #1
Release: September 2011
Writer: Scott Snyder
Artists: Greg Capullo and Jonathan Glapion


Photo via Comic Book Resources

Batman is DC's most interesting individual character, or at least he should be. As discussed in my Action Comics post, I find Superman to be rather limited. Clark Kent/Superman is pure good - ideal for a cultural icon but not so inspiring as a literary protagonist. Batman is different. He has no super powers and is not invincible. He is just a very rich man with really cool toys and a highly malleable sense of justice. Bruce Wayne is good but he's not perfect. He must survive by his wits more than anything else. Survival is expected, but not a given. That is why I take such offense at the recent passing off of Batman to other aliases. My feeling is that if you can't build upon Bruce Wayne/Batman, you don't belong in the character development business.

Robin is another matter. I've never quite grasped the need for Robin. Alfred is a stronger intellectual foil. Is Robin simply the realization of a universal childhood fantasy of hanging out with a superhero? Plus, I don't think changing Robin's alias has done much to change the character one way or another as far as the Batman storyline is concerned - still superfluous baggage.

Batman #1 did not pass my curiosity test. The book is good and the artwork strong but not enough to interest me in issue #2. The twist at the end is a great one but it's a little too easy to see how it will play out. More after the...


*****SPOILER ALERT*****

Surely, Dick Greyson isn't really out to kill Bruce Wayne. Mind you, that would be a very interesting story but I just don't see it happening. There has to be something more going on, some other reason for Greyson's DNA to end up at the crime scene. If Greyson really did leave the message, he's being controlled somehow - something happened during his extra night in the prison, perhaps. Like I said, it's pretty easy to imagine how this all plays out. If anyone reads further issues and finds differently, feel free to write to me with an I-told-you-so. The how and why of the matter is almost enough to pique my interest but not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment