Friday, September 30, 2011

The New 52: Green Lantern: New Guardians

Title: Green Lantern: New Guardians
Issue: #1
Release: September 2011
Writer: Tony Bedard
Artists: Tyler Kirkham and Batt


Image via DC Universe: The Source

It is a dark time for the floating Oompa-Loompas...

New Guardians
is a brand new series, expanding on the Emotional Spectrum concept first introduced by Geoff Johns a few years back. In reading these New 52 books, I've come to realize that the appeal of particular characters is less important to me than hitting a story at the right time. As such, I really shouldn't be surprised that Green Lantern is the storyline which has resonated most with me. Quite a lot of creative energy has been poured into the GL world over the past few years, led by Johns who is now the creative director for all of DC Comics. In the past, when I've gotten into a particular comic book character or story, Wolverine or Spider-man for instnace, I've been eager to go all the way back to the beginning and learn about their development. I don't feel that way with Green Lantern. I feel, instead, that the best time to latch onto the GL story is right now.

In the Emotional Spectrum, there are Lantern Corps in colors beyond green, each representing a particular emotion. Red = rage. Orange = avarice. Yellow = fear. Green = willpower. Blue = hope. Indigo = compassion. Violet = love. The New Guardians is a teaming of emissaries from each of these bands, Green represented in this case by Kyle Rayner. While I still contend that a single complex character would be preferable, this expanded pallet does provide ever increasing possibilities.

And so, Green Lantern: New Guardians #1 does pass my curiosity test. The GL world is 3-for-3 so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment